Sunday, February 15, 2009

Days and Songs

I love how ITunes gives you the availability to see when you last listened to a song.  It's like instant memory flooding.  It can bring you back to the/a day that you might not remember, but by the song you were listening to, you can recall what your mind was emotional associating with-if you associate your moods with music.

For example: "Home Life"- last listened on 11/20/07 3:28 PM

Now, I'm listening to that song currently, and I am stunned that it's been that long-as I remember the exact lyrics, tempo, vibe, and melody.  It's funny, 11/20/07 was right before Thanksgiving break for college students.  Thus, I must've been channeling home from Ohio, and getting excited to fly out for visitation.  I had these "home songs" that would get me pumped for going back to NJ, like Coheed's "Devil in Jersey City" and (a guilty pleasure) Phil Collins' "Take Me Home".

Now, 02/15/09, I'm home- living the home life- which will soon change in 2 weeks.  However, I only came across this song via Party Shuffle, and then felt like listening to the entire album.  "'Cause it's Sunday and nice out", I thought.  However, possibly sub-consciously in my cognitive mind I wanted to/felt a reason to play this exact track and then analyze it.  And now I'm analyzing the analysis.  Interesting observation.

Additionally, the other songs on Heavier Things, like "Come Back to Bed", was listened to at a later date: 07/28/08 7:05 PM.  Why did I listen to a track this past summer, but not play "Home Life" (which FYI is the next track after "Come back to Bed")?  I could have just decided to stop listening to JM, or there could've been a reason why in July- after I just moved back home from college-I didn't play "Home Life".  ITunes is like a music journal, if you take the time to notice.

No comments: