Monday, June 8, 2009

Shuffle and party, or reverse?

I just love my "Party Shuffle" on iTunes. I keep meaning to write about the cool mixes it creates, but I always forget to sit down and reminisce because I'm busy listening to the next song. "Party Shuffle" creates mixes I couldn't even dream to think of myself- and growing up with an addiction to editing songs [via mia madre] I think it's enlightening every time I hear two songs that aren't supposed to belong together blend so perfectly- like a cup of the purest Colombian coffee.

What iTunes did: The end of The Roots' "Rolling With Heat" ends with a woman speaking as if she was hosting a radio broadcast. She says, "It's the top of the hour, we're about to prepare you for another two hours of music-free commercials." AND THEN the break in the track stopped for oh about .5 seconds, only to drop the down beat of a soft bongo drum. Enter angelic psychedelic Shepherd's Dog "Lovesong Of The Buzzard". The twangs of hippie strings after The Roots' mean muggin' rhythms seemed to purrfect to be accidental. The space between the two songs was spot on because it gave the listener a moment to breath while transitioning with the previous artist's words. Both songs have a constant rhythm, thought created with different instruments, therefore, the ease of the beats just flowed one into the other- " The Lovesong of Heat" or "Rolling with the Buzzard" could be the name. Post-mix, I day-dreamed a DJ playing this transition, and saw everyone raising their lighters and exhaling.

If you have those two songs (which ya most definitely should!), try listening to them back to back- I think you'll like it.

No comments: