Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Air bag (not Radiohead's)

Upon finishing Motherless Brooklyn, I will quote another favorite passage of mine:

"I'm an air bag in a dashboard, packed up layer upon layer in readiness for that moment when I get to explode, expand all over you, fill every available space. Unlike an airbag, though, I'm repacked the moment I've exploded, am tensed and ready to explode-like some safety-film footage cut into a loop, all I do is compress and release, over and over, never saving or satisfying anyone, least myself. Yet the tape plays on pointlessly, obsessive air bag exploding again and again while life itself goes on elsewhere, outside the range of these antic expenditures."

Jonathan Lethem's Motherless Brooklyn, page 262. What a fantastic, hilarious book!

No comments: