Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I and Love and You

After 10+ albums, The Avett Brothers might finally be getting the recognition they deserve. Listed on RS's Artists to Watch this month, a lot writers, producers and artists are gossiping about the brothers' (Seth and Scott plus [non-related] Bassist Bob) new album debuting in September 2009, I and Love and You.

The new album is produced by genius Rick Rubin, and is sure to be a little more catchy and a little less sappy compared to 2007's Emotionalism. Supposedly Rubin found out about the bros on youtube, but seeing Ruby work his magic on these folksy arm chair, bearded dudes might be just what my ears need. I'm looking forward to a sound with a lot of emotion but without sounding emotional, if that makes sense. There's quite a difference between hearing whining vocals with a banjo versus hearing the pain peek through southern (and cute) drawls with a rockier edge and harsher tone-of-voice. Right now I'm thinking about their lyrics off there new single, "I and Love and You," and how even though I'm not driving North from North Carolina, I still want the same things.

All one foot in and one foot back

But it don't pay, to live like that

So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks

For never to return


Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in

Are you aware the shape I'm in

My hands they shake my head it spins

Brooklyn Brooklyn take me in


To acquire a little noise history on the Avett Brothers, take a listen to "Pretty Girl from Chile" and "The Ballad of Love and Hate" off Emotionalism, as well as a personal favorite, "Murder In the City" off The Second Gleam. And if you go to their concerts, make sure to bring a helmet and a sturdy flask.

No comments: