Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turning Point

As we [I] get older I have to inevitably face events that are bound to happen whether I choose to ignore them of not.
I am talking of marriage.
And my dear friend, Daria DeMarco, who I've known for nine years, is getting married in April 2009.
She will be entering a new faze in her life, full of wonderful experiences and memories, and I will be entering a new faze/fad/facade of my own, better known as: the bridesmaid.

I am thrilled to have been asked to be a part of her wedding, and would'nt have it any other way. I will be preparing and planning with three of my closest friends, and celebrating a momentous occasion with the people I love. As I think about this (because it just happened) I think about where "we" are in our age-defined life, and am I little shaken that I am at the appropriate stage where dress sizes, silver shoe styles, and party gifts really do matter. It isn't going to wait five, ten years; it's happening now. I wonder after this wedding how many other weddings I'll be in, and if I ever choose to get married, when I will pick my beloved bridesmaids. Maybe I thought, when this time hit, I'd be taller, more fully developed, wiser, or had a boyfriend. Maybe I thought I would be living in Boston with my cat and studying in libraries all day with coffee after coffee rhyming with the poetry in front of me. I'm not too sure where I thought I'd be when this cycle began, but I'm me now, and is it enough? Am I where I'm supposed to be? Am I on the right path to getting older, wiser, or richer? Where will I be when another one of my friends gets married? I'm not too sure, but the adventure of guessing can become quite amusing. I'm thrilled Daria is getting married away from home (Jersey) and we all have to fly to Kansas to celebrate. I think location weddings are fantastic, and guilt-free- a.k.a. you don't have to invite everyone you "know" because they live less than ten miles away from you. This extravangaza is also difficult to wrap my head around because it's the first. The first of many happy eves and toasts and messy skirts. It being the first defines a lot without my control, which is fine, but fairly new. Out of college, I am just learning how to control my own path- maybe not control but at least contort the patterns I like. Now, life is happening and I feel like I have to catch up. Like I missed the big secret someone's supposed to tell you post-graduation. What am I missing? Am I missing anything, or is this all anxiety built up around a straggling economy? Questions, ugh. For the time being, I will toast a glass of pinot to Daria, in my kitchen, and smile at the good things to come. Time to plan for the turning point.

No comments: