Thursday, July 24, 2008

more nature books


About a month before I had read Bryson's tale, I finished The Man Who Swam the Amazon, by Martin Strel & Matthew Mohlke.

Che Cosa? Did I read correctly, you swam the AMAZON…as in river? How does one physically accomplish such a feat? I'm not one to brag on my lap-skills. Well, because I have none. Therefore, to me this was a call of the wild kind-of epic title I had to purchase. I mean come on, wouldn't you be curious to see if this wasn't a publicity stunt or plea to save the piranhas.

Martin Strel, a badass distance swimmer has been swimming for decades. He has completed (and set records) for swimming the Danube, Mississippi, and Yangtze. The Amazon flows through three countries in South America. Starting west in Peru, meanders through some of Colombia, and gushes into the Atlantic at Brazil. Strel began the water journey January 26, 2007 and finished with his team April 7, 2007. While I was studying anatomy and modern drama in heated buildings bordering snow covered High Street, a man was swimming the Amazon. What is he doing now?

Kids listen to your soccer coaches because this was a team effort. Yes, Strel is the human body setting the pace and doing ALL of the physical work--but he would not be able to do what he did without his mates guiding the currents, protecting their safety, filling the boat with supplies and gas, videographers documenting the entire experience, and doctors to help him cope with physical and psychological exhaustion. Months were determined by routine and current mileage. Strel would only stop for a quick lunch, but his days were surrounded by murky waters, bobbing logs, and the predicament being eaten alive. Though, the book tells us Martin Strel did not think within the structure the Amazon gave him. Matthew Mohlke, his right hand man, who for most of the journey was in the smaller boat, ensuring speed and guiding Martin with hi-tech machinery and his wits, recorded the daily pace and duly noted the routine which created this book. He tells us Martin would be someplace else in his mind. He loved to tell himself stories in the water, getting lost in his teenage years spent in Slovenia. To him memories would keep his spirit alive. We think of memories, laugh, and move on with our day; but Martin would indulge in the past, using it to push him forward towards the future, one mile at a time.

The villagers welcomed Strel and team at almost every port they docked at. They [the inhabitants] of the Amazon began nick-naming Strel, "El Hombre Paiche". "The official name of the Paiche is Arapaima Gigas. At fourteen feet long, it's considered the largest freshwater fish in the world". Strel became one with the water. I say this because he was not attacked AT ALL. Read and see for yourself. Do you know how many fish and animals inhabit the Amazon? A LOT. A lot of creatures that can tear limbs and search for blood. Ever see that awful movie Anaconda? Yea, that's one animal. You've got crocodiles, river sharks, piranha, pirates, drug boats, the scene is set for catastrophe. During a part of his adventure, freshwater dolphins nuzzled up to Strel, curious in love and marriage. A mate, if you will. When a dolphin, one of my favorite animals warms up to me, I'll know I'm safe.

The motto:"I swim for peace, friendship and clean water."

I dig. Check out this book. Not for literature's sake, but for a sense of adventure I doubt we will ever relate to.

[pic from bluestarchronicles.blogspot.com]

No comments: