Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Press- Her Drowned World Mirrored

Just finished "Life With My Sister Madonna", by Christopher Ciccone with Wendy Leigh.

I have to admit, I felt guilty at the counter purchasing this book. If my brother wrote a revealing book about me during my mid-life I don't know how thrilled I'd be. I wouldn't want my friends, co-workers, or lovers reading it. If I had muses for years and was suddenly turned into the muse, there would be major issues to be resolved. Embarrassment is an understatement. But I am not a pop star multi-millionaire. I couldn't pay people to remove it off the shelves. At least she looks good on the cover, unlike Carrie's episode with New York Magazine. That would've been horrific. Plus with all the negative press w/ our Material Girls current drama, the timing must be horrid on a personal level. Though, Madonna's been through a lot of crazy shit, so maybe it's another walk in the park.

An easy read, the book is not as bashing or evil as I originally perceived, and Christopher is insightful in his own right. He is the younger brother overshadowed. Predictable. But his love never teeter-totters for his sister, only stints of bitterness. Instead of being more interested in Madonna after the read, I'm more interested in researching Christopher's interior designs. His talent for decorating shines through the memoir, carrying his intelligent and learned nature in every endeavor. I dig his concept of diving into new projects without really knowing what he's doing, learning the process along the way. Brave in a creative way. Holler. He finally finds himself near the end, but throughout a lot of the book I'm screaming at him, "Just tell her how you feel!" He submerges a LOT of anger.

Sean Penn lived with Bukowski, a badass writer and a drunk. I learn about Madonna's knowledge and experience with modern dance. Go mid-west! Kate Moss was doing bad things back then too. Madonna isn't the only one outed here. Celebratards should close their blinds for about a week. Though, I can't say I wouldn't retaliate if my sister outed me in an article, which sold MILLIONS. Money is a constant theme after the necessary childhood chapter. The stage, I find, is the place where fond memories and fun survive a twenty-five year career. What I really appreciate is that Christopher didn't bullshit his sister. Unlike Elvis and Monroe's minions, he kept it real with Madonna, which probably contributes to her healthy and non-destructive present lifestyle. Is this American Life Madonna dreamed? Go read, and see for yourself.

Now off to her concert in a month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the review, ash! i've been wanting to read it since i heard about it coming out.

holy shit, are you so excited about her concert?!! i'm sure it's going to be pretty fabulous...you'll have to let me know how britney's cameo goes!