Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Flipper!

We saw dolphins yesterday!!
Such beautiful creatures & smart!
(I tried to write this post yesterday as well...the internet down here is presenting such difficulties.)
Echolocation. Did a science project about all that in the 7th grade, and went to county fair.
Drifting. There was a school of them about 40 YARDS off shore (around 5:00PM).
Going up! Going down! Dipping their noses with the grace of Fred Astaire.
Two of them were playing with each other, while the rest of the group continued to swim south.
I just adore these animals and had the urge to jump into the rough waters and swim past the breaking point to make new friends.

I’ve swum with dolphins before, but never in the wild. The whole extravaganza was organized, and people made money off my mother and tourists like us on Paradise Island. The dolphins cushioned our butts for about five seconds as we pretended to fly with our arms barely extended to the sides, but the water was enclosed, and even as a young child I felt bad for the animals in captivity.
I want no restrictions, no rules, just playtime with these gentle, loving creatures.
Maybe will see them again today, tomorrow…I’ll keep ya’ll posted.

No comments: