Thursday, October 2, 2008

Differences In Stalkerdom

I've been thinking, what is the difference between qualities of a stalker and what 'normal' people do on Facebook?
I'm assuming not much of a difference sans harassment, but I figured I'd compare the facts anyway.
Technically:

Merriam Webster's definition:
V, Middle English, from Old English bestealcian; akin to Old English stelan to steal
to pursue quarry or prey stealthily

Urban Dictionary's definition:
"a person obsessed with another to the point of insanity. I.E. following one everywhere, calling constantly, not following restraining orders, collecting their hair in shower drains"

Some synonyms from http://thesaurus.reference.com
-follow
-pursue
-track
-chase
-trail

Now, don't think I'm crazy...yet. I'm not practicing what it takes to fit these qualifications. I'm just curious at whether the differences are like Nicole and Paris, or Letterman and McCain. Reality v. what websites allow to be be seen.

On Facebook, one can track conversations since the beginning of friendships. Forgot what you said? Just look at the wall-to-wall, and you can go back four years to thoughts you probably have now forgotten. One is alerted as to when friends change their information, specific information. One is alerted when a friend of a friend communicates with that friend, and you might go check it out because you're curious. You have access to that information irregardless, though the site lets us know when it's happening, so we can be immediately informed. Unless you live in another dimension, you should know you can make your info private to public search engines, networks, schools, and businesses. However, a friend of a friend can show your page to the person you denied, and your efforts are shot to shit...without you knowing. Is that OK?

I'm not too sure. Looking at the synonym of "pursue", I think Facebook fits the definition of that word. One can consciously decide to pursue or not to pursue by viewing someones profile information, friends, pictures, hobbies, age, job, inspirations, and quirks. Putting forth the effort means you might be interested, but are unsure, therefore you have the scary option to decide without that person's consent. Is that really a way to get to know someone? Doubt it, but we do it anyone because we can.

As to the definition "insanity", I know many of my friends and myself are not insane. Nor do we aim to be. Though, at times curiosity borders obsession. We won't harass someone, or at least let one know we still have an urge to see what they're up to. God forbid we were to get caught, then the embarrassment would be horrific. That's the thing, since our information is public, but our knowledge of what we view is private, it's the new definition of slight stalker. This may also depend on how many times one views another page, though I'm sure by this point we've all lost count.

You ask, how about the "calling constantly" part of the definition, Ashley? Well, on the Internet, there's no need for phones. You have skype, ichat, AIM, et. and instead of dialing the phone, mini-feed provides you with breaking headlines.  

Shelly is attending Frat Omega's Dance-a-thon
RESULT:
"OMG she got invited and I didn't?!" 

Or 
"Holy shit bro I don't remember a fucking thing from last night"
REACTION: 
"Sally!  That fucking douche bag doesn't remember a thing from last night!" 

Feeling guilty yet? I'm not skirting around indifference, I'm guilty too.
The phone, sadly, is outdated. Think about our phones today, you can text, surf the net, take pictures, draw, get directions, they're basically a computer sans MS Word. You can access the social news from the phone, so doesn't that eliminate calling altogether? I think so. 

This access affects our actions in weird ways. For instance, I know something about you, or what someone said to you, but can't tell you that I know. Therefore, I act differently, and you notice, but have no idea why. Problems ensue, jealousy is enacted, and nothing is solved because no one will speak up. Basically you're losing something over nothing because no one can fully comprehend the exact situation.

Additionally, this site can be a narcisstic tool, pushing the limits of self confidence, devouring smiles and well natured human beings; while confirming a moment in time. It's fabulous in the way that it keep records of good times, nights out with friends, and blurry memories. However, it is a clever tool to waste hours of your day breaking down someone's look and confirming your own. What I'm saying is, the good looking people (who know it), WANT you to look at them, stalk their moves, and think about what you saw post-log out. They aim to control your emotions like a chess pawn. Plus, the naughty and gorgeous will want you to ASK them about it, though in a covert way, proving you have game because your simply avoiding an obvious topic. This is INSANE.

Most likely, when confronted or asked your level of caring, you will respond, "I don't care". The fact is, you do care. We care because we use it, spend our own lives analyzing others. Why? I've yet to determine why, as this trend is building instead of declining. I thought this would be a fade like myspace, live journal, et. Instead, mothers and 60-year olds are joining, wanting to be my friend. The college network apparently wasn't good enough, but we all know it's sufficiently big enough. There's enough drama on campus to fill multiple provocative sites and segregated clubs, so the expansion spawns from greed. That's a whole other topic I don't have to time to divulge in.

All this slight stalker syndrome can be a pile of crap, but after reading this I suggest you consider my thoughts when you ''observe" someones whereabouts.

No comments: