Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Twilight

I have finished the Twilight series.  Yesterday actually.  Hello Mr. President and world, I've returned a transformed human, pun intended.  Now (predictably if you know me) this has set off a chain reaction, and I will get my hands on all notable vampire books to date.  Up next, The Historian, which I've had but never completed- time to restart that baby.  Afterwards I'm assuming a little Anne Rice, why the hell not?  Even though, oddly enough, she's become a jesus lover and consequently writer.  If I was an oracle twenty years ago I would've called that shiz.  I just find something a bit humorous about a notable vampire novelist abruptly turning to religious memoir writing.  Oh well.

Attention, this may contain SPOILER ALERT, depending on how far I take this.  I'll let you know if that's the way my thoughts are leading.

So, there's a concept in the last novel, Breaking Dawn, that I'm having a long time trying to wrap my head around.  Somewhere in book three, novel four, Bella analyzes (OKAY, IT'S INEVITABLE, SPOILER ALERT!) her new life as a vampire.  Bella says, 

"I was always going to want more.  And the day was never going to end" (p 483).  

This evident concept of forever is majestic, knowing you can "live" forever, but I'm trying to tie that together with: not ever having the need to sleep.  Therefore forever is one long day.  Days and days and days tied together technically, but time is irrelevant when you're not changing/growing.  You never have the need to sleep because, as a vampire, you can't.  Imagine standing in the same two-footed position for a week.  Imagine daydreaming for twelve days without it feeling more than an hour.  My back gets tired after standing at a concert for two hours.  Just imagine never getting tired after exerting yourself running, dancing, working, studying, researching.  Imagine never needing sleep- being exhausted, yes, but not needing to close your eyes and shut up your conscious mind to cure that exhaustion.  Coming home, sitting, collecting thoughts, and subsequently moving on with the one day of your long life. Mmm this concepts makes me wish for non-existent things.

I'm sure there would be times in the philosophical "forever" that one would want to end it- it meaning life.  End the rising of the sun and the moon.  End the death that you witness with mortals/loved ones.  End the change in technology, animals, people, rulers, fashions you see.  Maybe you enjoy the change, but it is not important to you because know there will be more to change in another decade or century.  Also, you don't need the advancement of medicines or technology because you will never die, so you watch and listen to the breath of evolution. Imagine being together with the one you love forever.  Why worry?  There's never a need to stop or hurry or time-manage.  You can take however long you need to learn a new language or instrument or sport and not feel pressure of grasping the rules quickly, because you have all the time in the world, literally.  Who decides when forever ends?  Would forever constitute what happens after our world has vanquished?  Where would you go from there?  Does space count in "forever" terms?  

I have no idea why I am so dumbfounded yet intrigued by this concept.  Of course this is not my first encounter thinking about infinity, but this is the first time I actually care to wonder.  Or maybe it's the first time I've thought of forever in terms of love.  Thinking thinking thinking.  Anyway, go read Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.  It is the next best thing after Harry Potter 1-7.  Thank me or Melinda Mendez when you're done, and then write a letter to Stephenie Meyer thanking her.  

If you need more convincing:
"[Meyer is] the world's most popular vampire novelist since Anne Rice" _Entertainment Weekly
"Move over, Harry Potter" _USA Today
An Amazon Best Book of the Decade...So Far
A New York Times Editor's Choice.

No comments: